Thursday, February 10, 2011

“Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.”

Day 11: What you Believe in


This is the worst prompt I think I've ever been handed and I went through four years of college.  If whoever wrote this challenge out was an education major they would fail the assessment portion of the class, because this prompt is too vague and extremely ambiguous. In the spirit of completing this challenge, though, I will attempt to answer it.


I believe in education. Not just in teaching students reading, writing, and arithmetic, but more so in teaching students character.  I especially believe in high school education, because I think those are the students who need lessons in character the most.  I see so many students in a day who mirror their parents bad actions, or regurgitate their parents awful beliefs, or are simply invisible to their parents all together.  It hurts me to know that some of these students have gone their entire life without knowing their worth or possibility or potential.  That's my job and one I won't dive into without being fully committed.  Walking into a classroom requires me to be ready to not only educate my students on reading and writing, but to educate them on who they could and should be.  I believe in teachers and the power they have. I believe in the power of education.


I believe that family and friends that become family are the most important things in this world. I would be nowhere without the people that have loved and supported me always, they are the most important things. I believe in the power of having people that will surround you and be there for you, even if they don't agree with you. I believe in the healing power of not being alone ... of always having people to turn to. I believe in my family, biological and acquired.


I believe in God.  I believe that he is loving, forgiving, full of grace, and offers me mercy always. I refuse to believe in the really big, horrible, scare tactics of religion. I don't think someone who is in charge of all the people in the world doesn't have compassion for them and I don't think that this someone would want all those people to be afraid of him. But, I do believe in the awesome, healing, strengthening power of God.


I believe in love.  I believe in all different types of love.  I believe in the kind of unfailing love I have for my babies; my horse and my puppy, and the type of unconditional love they have back for me.  I believe in the kind of love that has my family behind me during every step of my life. I believe in the binding love between me and my friends.  The kind of love that brings us together when we need each other no matter how far apart we are. I believe in the type of love that bombards you, rushes in on you, and leaves you breathless. I believe in the type of forever love that surprises you, but then it becomes a part of you and you can't live without that love. I believe in love that lasts 50 years and it's never easy, but at the end of the day it's always worth fighting for. I believe in the power of loving and being loved.


Finally, I'm working on believing in myself, first and foremost.  I found the above quote and I realized it's perfect.  I want to be true to myself in every situation and have the type of easy confidence that makes me shine. I'm working towards that, but it's really easy to believe in other things before you trust yourself enough to believe in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment